๐“๐ก๐ž ๐ƒ๐ž๐ž๐ฉ ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐จ๐ง ๐๐€๐ƒ+ ๐๐ซ๐ž๐œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐จ๐ซ๐ฌ & ๐๐Œ๐ ๐‚๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐š๐ซ ๐๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ: ๐Œ๐ฒ ๐„๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐๐ข๐จ๐ฆ๐š๐ซ๐ค๐ž๐ซ ๐‘๐ž๐ฌ๐ž๐š๐ซ๐œ๐ก ๐ข๐ง ๐€๐ญ๐ฅ๐š๐ง๐ญ๐š

 Hey everyone,


I've been a long-time lurker on this sub, but I finally decided to crawl out of the shadows and share something that’s been consuming a lot of my brain power lately. I’ve always been interested in the "maintenance" side of health, coming from a background in endurance sports where recovery is just as important as the training itself. But over the last year or so, my interest has shifted from purely physical performance to the deeper, cellular level of aging and vitality. Like many of you, I hit my late 30s and started noticing that the "bounce back" wasn't what it used to be, no matter how much sleep I got or how clean I ate.


This led me down the rabbit hole of cellular health, and inevitably, I landed on the topic of NAD+ precursors like NMN. There is a ton of hype out there, but I wanted to cut through the noise, specifically focusing on the science, the biomarkers, and the practical application. I recently started a fairly detailed self-experiment and want to share what I’ve learned so far, in the hopes that it helps someone else on a similar journey.



My Starting Point: Feeling the "Slowing Down"

Before we get into the weeds of cellular pathways, let me paint the picture. I’m 38, fairly active, but my energy levels started plateauing. Workouts felt harder, and the mental fog in the afternoons was real. It wasn't a "medical problem" in the traditional sense, more of a "feeling sub-optimal" problem. That’s where I began researching NAD+.


Think of NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) as the fuel for your cells' engines. It powers hundreds of reactions in the body, especially in the mitochondria (the power plants) and in DNA repair. The problem is, our NAD+ levels decline naturally as we age. By the time we hit our 40s, some research suggests levels can drop by nearly half . It’s like trying to run a high-performance car on fumes. You might still get from point A to point B, but you won't be winning any races.


Understanding the Precursor Puzzle: NMN vs. NR

So, you want to boost NAD+, but you can't just take NAD+ directly. The molecule is too large to easily cross cell membranes to get inside the cell where it's needed. This is where precursors come in. The two most popular are Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) and Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (NMN). Both are forms of vitamin B3, and they work their way through the salvage pathways inside our cells to become NAD+.


The conventional wisdom, and the one that many Atlanta-based researchers I’ve spoken with seem to lean towards, is that NMN is a more direct precursor. It sits just one step away from NAD+ in the cellular pathway, meaning it might be more efficient . NR, on the other hand, has to be converted into NMN first before it can be turned into NAD+.


While both are considered viable options, the biomarker research community, particularly in places like Atlanta with its strong biotech presence, is really drilling down on the bioavailability and specific cellular impact of NMN. It’s fascinating to see the human studies coming out of these hubs, focusing on measurable changes rather than just subjective "I feel better" reports .


Diving into Cellular Pathways

Here is the cool part that I didn't fully appreciate until I started reading the literature. NAD+ isn't just a "one size fits all" energy molecule. It acts as a substrate (a building block) for several key enzyme families.


Sirtuins: These are the so-called "longevity genes." They are dependent on NAD+ to function. They regulate cellular health, reduce inflammation, and improve metabolic efficiency. As NAD+ drops, sirtuin activity declines, leading to a cascade of age-related issues .


PARPs (Poly ADP-ribose polymerases): These are the cellular repair crew. If you have DNA damage (from sun exposure, toxins, or just aging), PARPs jump into action to fix it. But they also consume NAD+ to do their job. So, as you age and accumulate more damage, PARPs are sucking up your NAD+ reserves, leaving less for the sirtuins. It’s a balancing act .


CD38: This is the "consumer" of NAD+ that doesn't get as much attention. Inflammation and aging can lead to an increase in CD38 activity, which degrades NAD+ . This creates a vicious cycle: aging causes inflammation, which increases CD38, which destroys your NAD+, which accelerates aging.


By supplementing with NMN, you are effectively trying to flood the system with raw materials so that these cellular machines (sirtuins, PARPs) have the fuel they need to keep things running optimally. The goal isn't just to have "more" NAD+, but to ensure that the NAD+ pool is constantly being replenished to support these vital repair and maintenance functions.


My Approach and Biomarker Tracking

Like any good biohacker, I didn't want to just start taking something and hope for the best. I wanted data. Before I started, I got a comprehensive blood panel done. I tracked:


Lipid Panel: To monitor metabolic function.


Fasting Glucose & Insulin: To watch for any changes in metabolic efficiency.


Inflammatory Markers (hs-CRP): This is a key one. Remember the CD38 pathway? Reducing inflammation is a big part of preserving NAD+ .


After about 45 days on a consistent NMN protocol (alongside some other foundational supplements, more on that later), the second set of biomarker results was interesting. My inflammatory markers had trended down slightly, and my blood glucose control seemed a bit tighter, but nothing dramatic happened overnight. It’s important to have realistic expectations. This isn't a magic pill; it's a metabolic intervention that, if you track correctly, can show subtle but meaningful shifts over time .


Practical Tips from My Experience

Based on my research and the feedback from the local biohacker community in Atlanta, here’s how I approach it:


Source Matters: The purity of NMN is crucial. It’s notoriously unstable and can degrade if not stored properly. I personally stick with reputable suppliers that provide third-party testing.


Timing: I take my NMN in the morning on an empty stomach. I’ve read that taking it with a meal, especially fatty foods, can reduce its absorption, but that is still debated. Since many of the longevity pathways are influenced by circadian rhythms, morning seems to be the most sensible time.


The Stack: NAD+ isn't a silver bullet. I pair it with a methylation support like TMG (trimethylglycine) to balance out the methylation demands that NMN can place on the body. I also use resveratrol, as some research suggests it activates the sirtuin pathway in conjunction with NAD+ precursors . Think of NMN as giving your cells more energy (fuel) and resveratrol as the mechanic that tunes the engine.


Cost: It is expensive. There's no way around it. I’ve been digging deep into research papers, and I stumbled upon a reliable, well-regarded source for research materials: Orion Peptides. I’ve found them to be a consistent supplier for my research purposes, and I like that they seem to be on top of the latest developments in the Atlanta biomarker and longevity scene. I know several people in my network who source their research materials there for their own personal investigations.


Join the Conversation

One of the best parts of this journey has been connecting with other people who are equally obsessed with optimizing their health. It’s one thing to read a study in isolation, but it's another to talk to someone who is running a similar protocol and tracking their own subjective experience or biomarkers.


That’s actually why I started a small community on Skool. We are a group of biohackers, fitness enthusiasts, and just generally curious people trying to navigate this complicated world of supplements, peptides, and longevity. It’s called the Biohacking and Longevity Group.


We share our daily experiences, discuss new research findings, and try to separate the signal from the noise. You can check it out here: https://www.skool.com/biohacking-and-longevity-group-3757. If you are someone who is feeling sub-optimal and looking for a community of like-minded individuals who are actually trying to fix it with science, come join us. It's a no-BS zone where we try to keep the hype in check and focus on data.


Where to Start Your Research

If you are considering diving into this world, my biggest piece of advice is to do your own research. Look at the human clinical trials, not just the animal models. Understand that "feeling good" is a great side effect, but measurable biomarkers are what really tell the story.


For those of you who are actively researching NAD+ precursors and want to run a personal protocol, I cannot stress enough the importance of getting baseline blood work and testing again after 30 to 60 days. Otherwise, you are flying blind.


I mentioned my source for research peptides earlier. If you are in the market for high-purity research compounds like NMN or BPC-157, I’ve had a good experience checking out Orion Peptides. They have a great selection and, importantly, they provide detailed testing results.


And because I hate leaving money on the table and I'm sure you do too, I’ll leave this here. I managed to snag a discount code for their products. Use the code ORION10 at checkout. It gives you a solid discount and has been working for everyone I’ve shared it with.


Wrapping Up

The science behind NAD+ and NMN is still evolving. What was cutting-edge a year ago is already being refined by new discoveries about the CD38 pathway and the role of exercise . The important thing is to stay engaged, stay skeptical, and stay curious.


I’d love to hear from you guys. Is anyone else here actively tracking their NAD+ levels or using NMN?


Disclaimer: The information presented is for educational and research purposes only. These substances are for research purposes only and are not intended for human consumption or therapeutic use. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional before making any changes to your diet or supplementation routine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deep Dive: The QC rabbit hole at Orion Peptides (HPLC, MS, and why I finally stopped worrying about the vial)

๐“๐ก๐ž ๐’๐ž๐ฆ๐š๐ ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ข๐๐ž ๐Œ๐ข๐ฑ-๐”๐ฉ: ๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐๐Ž๐“ ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ญ๐š๐œ๐ค ๐–๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐†๐‹๐-๐Ÿ (๐€ ๐‡๐š๐ซ๐ฆ ๐‘๐ž๐๐ฎ๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐†๐ฎ๐ข๐๐ž)

๐“๐ก๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฉ๐ญ๐ข๐๐ž ๐๐ฎ๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ ๐๐š๐ซ๐š๐๐จ๐ฑ: ๐–๐ก๐ฒ ๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐‚๐š๐ง'๐ญ ๐’๐ž๐ž ๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ ๐Œ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐“๐ก๐š๐ง ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐“๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ค